Freight Farm Technological Features (from www.freightfarms.com):
· Built entirely inside a 40’ x 8’ x 9.5’ shipping container, our freight farm is outfitted with all the tools needed for high-volume, consistent harvests. With innovative climate technology and growing equipment, the perfect environment is achievable 365 days a year, regardless of geographic location.
· Our farm has a system for germination and seedling growth including a custom-designed aluminum workstation for planting and germinating seedlings and a hydroponic setup for up to 2,500 seedlings. The seedling station is also outfitted with ebb and flow irrigation and an LED lighting system specifically calibrated for early stage growth.
· The farm has a vertical system of hydroponic towers where plants grow to maturity. The vertical towers create a high-density growing environment with four rows of towers providing space for over 4,500 plants. An overhead drip irrigation system and strip lighting supports crop growth all the way to harvest.
· Climate conditions are measured and controlled by an in-farm controller to achieve optimal growing conditions, regardless of the exterior environment. Incorporated sensors balance temperature, humidity and CO2 levels.
· A closed-loop irrigation system delivers a nutrient-rich water solution directly to plant roots, ensuring strong and uniform growth. Water quality is measured and controlled through temperature, pH and EC sensors located inside the tanks.
· A patented high-efficiency LED lighting system mimics sunlight and delivers the optimal wavelengths for uniform plant growth. An automated scheduling system simulates day and night.
· Our farm’s 4g hotspot allows us to stay connected to the operation of the farm 24/7. Through the farmhand app it’s possible to monitor all the environmental components inside the farm directly from an iOS device.
· We are able to set the parameters for ideal growing conditions and receive notifications if there are any changes to the environment. Surveillance cameras and data logging helps us ensure that we maintain proper food safety protocols in the farm and brings transparency to the food supply chain.
Screenshots of our Freight Farm app, Farmhand
Download it here!
LED lighting system
Photo Credits: Meghan Daly
(see this in a higher resolution under our Photos & Docs tab)
Vertical Systems of the Hydroponic Towers
Photo Credits: Amy Wong